Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fall Quilt Festival

By Mary

Barb and I wanted to participate in the Fall Virtual Quilt Festival over at Parkcitygirl.com One of the many fun things our cupcake group does is to pick out a quilt that we all like and reproduce/interpret it in our own way. The first quilt did was a late 1800's quilt Victoria and Albert museum quilt featured in Kaffe Fassett's book - Museum Quilts.



We used many of the templates in the book but also used a lot of our own which we shared. Here is Barb's take on the quilt. She used her fabulous collection of reproduction fabrics and quilted it using a handmade Bishop's fan stencil. It won Best Applique' at the NJ State show in 2008. It's title is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and OMG it is!




Here's my take on the quilt. I went with a 2-color red & white theme (fewer fabric decisions for Libras) and horizontal wavy quilting lines . It won third place applique at the NJ State show in 2009.



Still to come is our friend Susan's Animal, Vegetable, or Mineral quilt which is a totally original design using only these type of appliques and complementing quilting designs. It's going to be gorgeous.

Mary



25 comments:

  1. Both of your quilts are just fabulous. When I first saw Mary's I have often thought of doing a quilt like that.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those quilts are impressive. Were they machine appliqued or hand appliqued? If machine, what technique was used, faux hand, raw edge with zigzag etc?
    I do a lot of hand applique but think I might try some machine applique to get things finished faster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilts. That was a lot of applique. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both quilts, I bet they were lots of fun to do. I can't wait to see Susan's, it sounds just as wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! Amazing quilts!!!
    I would love to know what techniques you both used to sew them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love your quilts! Inspiring! I am going to have to check out the rest of your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow Mary! What are you doing slumming with me?... I am not worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous!!!! Applique is my first love. Please, please, please tell us more about how your quilts were made, how large are they (I am especially interested in your red/white - did you have a problem with shadowing), were the appliques on one large piece of background fabric or blocks, what applique method did you use???? Oh, now you can't just leave us like this, we (well, selfishly "I") need details! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! I heart Red and White and I heart this quilt! So glad you shared. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's fun about this Blogger Quilt Festival is how we can take away inspiration from our fellow quilters. I love the enthusiasm of Edie's comments (above) and I feel that way too (although I suspect that Edie's more wild about applique than I am). I like to admire it more than do it, and admire your quilt I do!

    Thanks!
    --ELIZABETH E, #115

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like both the quilts, and have been toying with 2 colour ideas for the next one.

    This one is a rainbow, so the simplicity would be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So fun to see how you each ventured out from one design into your own creations. Love them both. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love both of these quilts.
    Sorry I missed the show this year to see yours hanging Mary.
    I thought Jill was making one too?
    can't wait to see Susan's.
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  14. These quilts are absolutely fabulous!! How big are they? We need more info!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both quilts are absolutely stunning .... if I was a judge, it would be a hard decision of which one to award a ribbon .... and in the end, I would break with tradition and give you girls a tie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both quilts are absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The red and white quilt is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! what marvelous works of art. the quilt you drew inspiration from is wonderful and so are yours with a bit of update. really awe inspiring. thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. I am so impressed. quick question: What form of applique did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad I clicked on this post, I love this quilt of Barb's so much and then to see Mary's version as well is so wonderful!! They're both amazing!!You cupcake girls sure know how to have fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment - I like to know what you think.