Thursday, October 8, 2015

Baby You're The Greatest!

That is what Ralph Kramden used to say to Alice.  And that is what I'd say to my  Alice if I could.  Alice Payne that is!

I finished my top yesterday and I'm so thrilled.  It's 74" square.
Mr. Fun first tried holding it over the railing in the house.  He is such a trooper.
I intend to quilt is as Alice did:  Diagonally over the applique', a simple cable in the sashing and then pretty fan quilting along the out border.
Since I'll be hand quilting through all the layers, I elected to cut out the backing and extra layers of fabrics.
How do you feel about this?  I'm okay with it.  I don't intend to use this quilt heavily.
Here is a soup recipe that I promised on InstaGram.  It's is Escarole soup with turkey Meatballs.
 It was sent to me by a guild friend and loyal FWB reader, Maureen.

For the Meatballs:
20 ounces lean ground turkey breast
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 egg
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tsp kosher salt
For the Soup:
8 cups fat free chicken broth
1 head escarole, chopped
1/2 cup orzo (see notes)
fresh pepper to taste
  • In a large pot, heat the broth over medium heat, covered.
  • While the broth is heating up, in a large bowl combine all the ingredients for the meatballs.
  • Using your hands, mix until well combined.
  • Roll into small sized balls about 1" or so.
  • When the broth comes to a boil, drop in the meatballs.  Add the orzo and chopped escarole.  Add pepper to taste and simmer about 10 mins until orzo is done.
Here are MY notes:
  • I couldn't get 20 oz of turkey, so I got a pound and adjusted the bread crumbs.
  • I didn't have seasoned crumbs, so I added Italian seasonings to plain crumbs
  • I wish I had cooked the orzo separately because they absorbs so much liquid in the left over portion.  I would then have added it to the left overs individually.
  • I simmered it about 20 mins to make sure the turkey was fully cooked.
I loved it - thanks Maureen!

Exciting and Fun Mail:
Thank you so much Linda for the cute fabrics and Dixie for wonderful Halloween kitchen towels.  What a lovely surprise.   You both are so thoughtful.

And thank you Helen form Till We Quilt Again for picking me as your IG winner.  What a super prize package full of all sorts of fun.  Thanks Kelly for hooking me up with your quilt friend and the giveaway.

Thank you also for all your support and encouragement watching me inch way through these 9 blocks of the AP quilt.  I appreciate it so much.

Thanks also for all the bow ties packages - as soon as I have them all I'll be swapping and mailing!
xo


34 comments:

Ann in PA said...

Wow! "Alice" is absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to see the quilting. Although it makes perfect sense for easier quilting, my heart would be pounding as I carefully cut out those appliques...yikes! Thank you for sharing the recipe - it looks soooooooooo good!

OT Quilter said...

Alice is just perfect. And you finished the top in time to hand quilt during the winter! I can't wait to see her (and you) in person!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Alice looks great! I am with you on cutting out the extra layer of fabric when quilting over the applique. I think the quilting makes sure the integrity isn't compromised!

Lori said...

WOW! Nice job Barb. I normally do not cut out the back of applique but a lot of people do- I think it is personal preference. I love the original makers quilting too and think it is perfect for the reproduction.

Amy said...

There's Alice! And she is a beauty. Gorgeous interpretation, Barb. Hopefully, you won't have repeat weather of last winter, but if you do, you are all set for stitching.

Karen said...

Your Alice Payne is so vibrant and beautiful. I know this is a special quilt for you.

Amy said...

There's Alice! And she is a beauty. Gorgeous interpretation, Barb. Hopefully, you won't have repeat weather of last winter, but if you do, you are all set for stitching.

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful. I'm proud of you for finishing this top. Loving it!!

Janet said...

Your Alice Payne top is fantastic! I love the bold blocks and color! You must have nerves of steel to cut away the back of the applique. It will make a big difference with the quilting though. I'm excited to see your start with the quilting :0)

Janet O. said...

Ralph said a few other things to Alice that weren't quite so loving. : )
Your quilt top is gorgeous! I admire that you are going to hand quilt through all of those seams. Do whatever makes it work!

CecileD said...

Your top is just awesome !! Congratulations for your wonderful work and quilting it by hand is a brave decision but I think it matches with this quilt !!
Like you, I have the habit to cut under the appliqués ...the top is less heavy like that !
Have a nice week-end Barb !! :)

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Such a beautiful quilt top ! Congratulations on the finish. That soup is similar to one made in these parts called Wedding Soup...traditionally with meatballs, sometimes spinach versus escarole...can be rice or small noodles, and sometimes with an egg stirred into the broth. I shall have to try it with the turkey, your way! :)

Debra said...

Your Alice Payne quilt top is wonderful! Enjoy quilting it. What will you call this one? Congrats on all the goodies you have received - they look wonderful, just like that soup! I have a similar recipe Mini Turkey Meatball Soup.. uses fresh spinach instead of escarole. Delish! Enjoy.

Thimbleanna said...

WooHoo! Congrats on your AP quilt -- She. Looks. Mahvelous!!! I'm good with cutting that fabric on the back out too -- isn't that the way they always did it? At least that's the way my mom did it and she did some beautiful applique!

Me and My Stitches said...

Alice is fantastic! I can't wait to see it all quilted (that will be next week, right?). You do such perfect work, even your cutouts of the back are neat! I would have been terrified that I would cut through the fabric on the front!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Alice turned out Gorgeous!
Hooray for a fabulous finish!
I also cut away the excess background when hand quilting some of my larger applique' projects. Typically just the pieces that measure larger than a silver dollar in size.

I look forward to seeing your finished quilt!

Nifty Quilts said...

Congratulations on your Alice Payne quilt top! It's WONDERFUL! Cutting out the extra fabric is a brilliant idea. Your fingers will thank you.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

To the moon Alice! Absolutely beautiful! Alice would indeed be proud of you! Thanks for soup recipe. I can usually cook soup without burning it.

Every Stitch said...

Congratulations - such a beautiful top - vibrant and quirky! You've gone to a lot of trouble with the cutting out - but it will make hand quilting much more comfortable.

Barbara said...

Great finish, Barb! Love, love, love your charming Alice Payne top :) Like that you will be hand quilting it. I cut out behind appliques, too!

Kyle said...

Alice P. Is stunning. I think the real Alice would love what you've done too.

Linda O said...

Alice is spectacular!! I am not brave enough to cut out the backing from applique, but I don't hand quilt much! I love fall and winter for the wonderful soups! Your recipe looks great!

Nancy said...

The quilt is just beautiful! I'm with you- I'm good with trimming away the backing as I don't like too much loft. Might vary by the project. Lovely and thoughtful gifts, and the soup- yummy!

Nancy said...

Beautiful quilt top. Congratulations on your finish. The soup looks yummy.

Dixie Howard said...

Your Alice Payne looks amazing, and can't wait to see it hand quilted! That soup looks delicious - always looking for new ways to cook with turkey. Glad you like the Halloween towels!

Rachaeldaisy said...

I LOVE your AP quilt!!! I hadn't noticed that the bits of blue before, they add that extra interest. It's interesting to see you cut out behind all the applique. It makes sense that it will be better for handquilting. The soup recipe is intriguing, I've never heard of it before but it looks delicious, thank you for sharing it with us.

Karen said...

Applause. Love it! My favorite blocks are the eagle and the pot of flowers with the bird. Hand or machine quilting?

Maureen said...

I thought you were always supposed to clip away the layers of applique from the back. I don't see how it would weaken the quilt especially after you quilt it. Your AP is gorgeous! Love the vibrant colors.

O'Quilts said...

So Stunning..as usual..a happy pretty post

Linda in NC said...

Your Alice is pretty great! Congratulations on a lovely top completed.

Teresa Rawson said...

Beautiful quilt top! It will be so yummy with hand quilting!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

So sharp, so beautiful - what a great top - and will be gorgeous quilted!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Congratulations on a fabulous finish! All the blocks are so bright and colorful! And yes, I thought you were "supposed to" cut out the backing on applique to make it easier to quilt and not make the quilt lumpy.

fiberchick said...

My word that is one rocking quilt!