Thursday, October 1, 2015

Happy Pumpkin!

Formerly known as October.

I hung one of my antique quilts from Mary B in the kitchen.  I had to add a sleeve to this one.  (if you add a sleeve to an antique quilt, be sure to sew through all layers to help support the fragile fibers).

 I named this Butterscotch Baskets
 I love the double pinks and the few greens with those wonderful old browns and the curry yellow.

Here isn oldy that I made in 2006.  It was my only mystery quilt.  I titled it "Indian Summer" for its colors and the arrows going around the border.
 I made it into a summer spread - no batting - by tacking it in the center of blocks with on the machine.  I was piecing backings even back then.
 Wee!  It is fair time here in New England.  I went to the Durham fair, the largest CT agricultural fair in the state.
This baby Llama killed me -
And the chicken exhibit - so may different varieties.  This one would not stop pecking long enough for a good photo.  His neighbor was as intrigued as me.

I saw this beautiful old quilt in the antique farm display.  Great case.
Here in an instagram collage that I posted - so fun!  Mr Fun and I rode the wheel.
Fun For Fall Friday (on Thursday)

It's pumpkin month.  What is the deal with pumpkin?  I used to have it exactly  once a year as a kid, Thanksgiving, as a pie.  Look at this one small pumpkin product display:
Okay.....but this?  Really?   REALLY????
My Peanutized self says:  GOOD GRIEF!
You can Peanutize yourself here.

I did try this one and liked it.  Very mild pumpkin flavor.
I received a lovely thank you package from my friend, Cecile' all the way from France.  Thank you!  I love the little quilt and the toile'.
 the backing toile' is also awesome.  I love the castle.  Very cute label.

As you have guessed, my retreat UFO is not finished and Alice is still in pieces as well.  I'm shooting for next week.

Thank you for all the well wishes on my future teaching endeavors.  Thank you also to the ladies of the Norwell River Applique' group (especially Marge and Sue) for having me on Saturday.  It was such a busy day, I didn't take one photo.

If you would like a printable PDF of the coffin needle case, use the email box to write me and I'll send you one.  Sorry that page doesn't work properly.

Happy Pumpkin....I mean October!

29 comments:

Jan said...

I would like to see a close-up photo of the sleeve stitches on the front of your antique quilt. I've grappled with this challenge with varying success.
Fun post!

Mary said...

That fair looks like a lot of fun. The baby lama is adorable!

Diane said...

Hi Barb, I saw a spoof on FB for Pumpkin Spice Tampax! It's a trend that's truly gone too far. I love the Butterscotch Baskets quilt.

Aunt 'Reen said...

O.M.Gosh just LOVE your Butterscotch Baskets quilt!
Really like how you've turned your Indian Summer into a throw rather than quilted. These are wonderful for seasonal transitions!
I have many fond memories of going to the Durham Fair when I lived in CT.
Thanks for sharing all those terrific pictures!

Brenda said...

Hey Barb, I'd like the pdf of your needle case. thanks!

Janet O. said...

Butterscotch Baskets is a great quilt! Do any of those browns show signs of having once been green?
Oh, the baby llama is so cute. In spite of all of the farms around that keep llamas (including ours), I have never before seen a baby. Almost looks cuddly. : )
I love MOST things pumpkin, but don't feel the need to have it in my chapstick. That is pretty strange to me.
Love your Peanuts version of yourself.
A couple of years ago, while visiting DD#1 in NH, we went to The Sandwich Fair on Columbus Day. Though we have county fairs here every year, this felt so much more like an old time fair. We loved it, and were planning to go again this year, but plans have changed.

Julierose said...

butterscotch Baskets is so perfect for this Season. Peanutizing is such fun!! Hugs, Julierose

Dawn said...

Love county fairs. As a kid we got out of school for the National Dairy Cattle Congress - FUN! Fun filled post - Love the vintage quilt in the case - any history with it?

Kyle said...

Butterscotch Baskets is the perfect quilt for the season. Maybe the original owner thought so too. What is it he deal with pumpkin. I like it too but, it seems to have taken over. You make a great Peanuts character.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

The yellow in the quilt is so perfect and I love basket quilts. A lovely fall quilt to display.
I love pumpkin but agree, what the heck is going on?

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your posts are always full to the brim with fun and fabulous things!! the basket quilt is gorgeous! Thanks for the tip about sewing stiches through to the front, I would never have thought of that. I love your fair photos, that baby llama is very cute. Cecile's gifts are lovely, she definitely had you in mind when she used that toile.

Thimbleanna said...

Wheeeee ... looks like you're starting off fall with some beautiful quilts and lots of fun. Love Love that cute little Llama -- now I want one! And just say no to pumpkin chapstick LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Butterscotch Baskets is so beautiful and cheery and it looks perfect hanging in your kitchen!!! Baby llama is adorable as is that black chicken. I like flavored lip balm but pumpkin pie is way out there! Hugs to you from Kentucky! kelley secrest

Barbara said...

Butterscotch Baskets and Indian Summer are perfect for fall! That little Llama is SO CUTE--I think he needs a hug! Lucky you! Cecile's little quilt is charming :)

Janet said...

What a gorgeous basket quilt - such lovely fabrics! You have it so beautifully displayed. I love fall pumpkin cooking and baking - pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin chili - yum! I bet I would like pumpkin Chapstick :0)

Nancy said...

Lucky you to have Butterscotch Baskets to hang in your home. It's stunning even though it's so simple.

Roxanne said...

Butterscotch Baskets looks beautiful hung there--it just glows! The pumpkin chapstick is a hoot. Janet wrote about pumpkin chili and I'm going to have to check that out. I haven't forgotten about bow tie swap. They are all cut out and will start sewing this weekend since it will be very rainy here. Love your peanut self--who would be your Peanuts BFF? Thanks for the fun post!

CecileD said...

Hello Barb !!
Your antique quilt in your kitchen is awesome !! And biiiig !! Wow ! That's a very beautiful present from Mary.... :)
Thank you for sharing the fair with us ! In Paris every year, there is a big fair like this just with farm animals ! It's very popular and it lasts during one week !
I wish you a lovely week-end !!
xoxo

Linda O said...

Oh, my goodness - your Butterscotch Baskets gorgeous! As is Indian Summer with the great backing and the fun little gift quilt! Love that little llama! I love all things pumpkin, but it is "good grief" - has gotten a little out of control! I think you should come teach here in the Seattle area!

Diane said...

Love the basket quilt! My favorite colors so that's not a surprise. It looks beautiful hanging in your home. I'm excited that our county fair is next week. I always enjoy it but I won't ride the Ferris wheel...those things scare me to death! Hahaha

Ruth said...

Butterscotch Baskets is lovely and perfect for your dining room wall! I love pumpkins, but don't think I'll be getting any pumpkin flavored lip moisturizer any time soon. The little quilt from Cecile is very special! Happy Fall!

Ruth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful quilts and names. The baby llama is so cute and looks soft, not sure about those chickens and yes there is now pumpkin everything

Maureen said...

You've put me in the mood for fall! Beautiful quilts! I love pieced backs.
I've spent hours and hours watching chickens the past few weeks. Very amusing! You've captured some fancy ones in your photo.
Happy Pumpkin!

Karen said...

Great post, I loved Fall during my years at UCONN. Your Butterscotch Baskets is so gorgeous. I would love waking up to that every morning.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh, that llama - smooch! I love fair season too. There does seem to be a new pumpkin "craze" going on these days, but since pumpkin is my favorite vegetable, I'm not complaining. On my birthday (in JULY) my Nana used to make me a pumpkin pie instead of a cake. Nuf said.

Barb said...

Your butterscotch basket is just so pretty...

Karen said...

I like the term "Happy Pumpkin". I have never seen pumpkin flavor chap stick but it might be good. I love pumpkin pie.

Lori said...

Happy Pumpkin to you as well! As you can see I'm still trying to catch up. I got some Kennebunkport pumpkin beer at Trader joes and love it!
Love your antique basket quilt.