Thursday, September 21, 2017

Amazing Ann Arbor

Thank you Greater Ann Arbor Quilt Guild!    I had a wonderful time visiting your guild.  Everyone was friendly and welcoming.

I made a great new friend, Julie H.  We have so many things in common.  She invited me to her home to see her antique quilts like this one~
But first I want to share some photos from the guild events.

I forgot to take more photos at the Applique' Workshop.  We had a great time learning to make our own patterns and composing original pieces.
The guild meeting is held at a Washtenaw Community College.  They had a great vendor, charity quilt area, a dye-cut company demo, and more.
They had a fabulous book sale - I found 2 great books.
Beautiful venue for my lecture on Scrap Quilts.
We had a fun workshop on Sunday Building Houses!
how fun are these trolls?
 Messy fun!
 The ladies made so many happy houses.  We all wished this was a 2-day workshop to continue the creativity and set them.

My visit to Julie's home was nothing less than incredible!  She and her husband were so warm and inviting.  We had an old fashioned bed turning.

Drum roll.........
 My favorite star
 Is this eclipse fabric?
 Triple cording on the binding - oh my!  I literally almost swooned a few times.
 Julie has a beautiful collection of pristine kit quilts.
 Looks like my header!
 gorgeous hand quilting on this Amish Style quilt.
By the way, this represents only part of her collection.  I saw about 60 quilts and there were more in a special quilt vault.   I hope to visit Julie again someday.

Here is Julie's stunning quilt.  It is a Sue Garman pattern.  Lovely.

Thank you, Julie, for allowing me to share photos from our special quilt sharing visit.  It was such a special treat!

Have a great week!  It's fair weekend here in CT - yay yay yay
xo

26 comments:

Kathy said...

Isn't Julie a wonderful resource? She's a font of knowledge and the sweetest person you could ever meet. Glad you had a good time here in Michigan!

Karen said...

Your workshop looks like it was quite fun. You spurred the quilters into creativity instead of cookie cutter designs.
The red and green applique quilts from the collection are wonderful. Especially the ones with the added cheddar. Icing on the cake for your visit.

OTquilter said...

Wow! What a great visit you had! The ladies of Ann Arbor made wonderful houses; I hope they post their finished projects someday. And those antique quilts. Truly swoon worthy. My fave is the ocean waves!
Have fun at the fair!

Chantal said...

Looks like you had so much fun. Love the Improv houses. That bed turning would have had me swooning too. What an incredible collection of fabulous quilts.

MJinMichigan said...

Wish I had known you were going to be there. I live less than an hour away and would have definitely gone to your lecture.

Lori said...

Love the guild venue! The houses are all so unique. Quilting and friendship go hand in hand. Julie's quilts are lovely!! So excited you got to see them in person.

Cathy said...

What a great display of antique quilts. Sorry I couldn't make it. I love those houses. Hugs

Diane said...

Sounds like a fun time was had by all! The quilts are wonderful, thanks for sharing them. Those little houses look like lots of fun too.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh what fun! I love some of those whimsical fabrics. I especially like the sock monkey in the doorway! What a treat to see Julie's special antiques. I really like that Ocean Waves quilt. And, I do believe that is "eclipse" fabric. Such a treasure! Thanks to both of you for sharing.

Barb said...

your post was full of quilty goodness...thanks for the inspiration

Janet said...

What an amazing trip! The applique workshop and the house building sound so fun! And what an amazing collection of quilts!!! Her applique quilts take my breath away - wow!! I'm feeling very inspired :0)

Maureen said...

So cool that you are teaching and lecturing. Kind of an extension of your blog! Those house blocks look addicting! Loved seeing some of Julie's quilts.

audrey said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Love the different styles of house blocks. And the impromptu quilt show is drool worthy!

Kyle said...

What a awesome opportunity for you and for the guild. Some of those house just make you smile. The bed turning quilt show must have be awesome. What works of art.

Barbara said...

I just LOVE all those little houses! Sounds like you had a great trip. The bed-turning quilts are fabulous and Julie's quilt is gorgeous!

cityquilter grace said...

drooling big time here....such gorgeous antiques...

QuiltGranma said...

absolutely beautiful! thank you so much for sharing!

Sue said...

I would have enjoyed that to Barb, lucky girl 😊

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Wow--what a wonderful collection of quilts! That must have been lots of fun to see--as well as your class. The houses are all so joyful--I'm sure everyone had a blast!

Unknown said...

You really DO know how to have fun, Barb! And you packed it all into one trip. Amazing! I love all the novelty prints used in the house blocks. And what a great venue for the meeting and workshop. I wish you continued success in your quilting ventures. B)

Angie said...

What a fun trip! Thanks for sharing all the great eye candy!

Barb said...

Thanks Betsy!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Wow! :) All of those fun houses were enough for an enjoyable post but then to add Julie's quilts on to it. I had never even heard of a triple binding.

Her collection as well as her own work is just amazing :)

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Barb -- it looks like you had a wonderful time. Julie's quilts are gorgeous! And look at all those fun houses -- your students obviously had a great teacher!!! ;-D

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Those applique quilts make me want to swoon! It looks like your students were very successful!

CecileD said...

Oh la la... Julie's quilts are gorgeous ! You were sooo lucky to admire them !
You've had talented students and a busy week ! Those houses are simply fun ! Bravo ladies !
xoxo