I had a little photo shoot with my AG doll, Annie, by the fireplace.
I made this little pillowcase to go with the new quilt.
The back is just a fabric that I thought looked old and humble. I hand quilted the horizontal lines. I will put a label on it this week.
Here are the steps I use to make a single binding, which I think really looks good on these little quilts. It helps keep the scale of them correct, I think.
I cut fabric strips 1 1/2" wide by the length needed.
I pin then sew the strips to each of sides of the quilt.
After sewing I trim away the top and the batting 1/4 from sewing line. I then press it about half way (a little less) to the raw edges.
I fold it over the edge and give it a really good press.
I pin the side bindings down on back side, then line up the bottom and top binding strips.
I pin, then sew these strips on. Trim and press as for sides.
For the corners, I fold in to line up with the edge and press.
Then I turn down the top and press again and pin into place.
As you can see, this is for a 4-piece single binding, which is in keeping with the age period I was going for. You can also do mitered corners with a single binding and I'll show that the next time I use it.
The Jubilee Quilt Project Blog is up and running and you can visit us here. There are about 20 of us and we'll be adding to and refining the blog as we go along. I'll be posting later this week, I've hit a speed bump on my project and I'm trying to find the right muslin.....again :(