Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Butter & Beauty: Savannah!

Photo Heavy Post all about Savannah (with a zillion links).  Not much quilting - just a little hand quilting on the plane.
Our home away from home.  The Old Harbour Inn on River Street.
 I fell in love with the Live Oak trees with Spanish Moss.
We had dinner at The Grey.  What a great vibe.  Is is an old Greyhound station.
Best Cosmo of my life - and that's saying a lot!
Wow - that's a lot of candy.  They love their sweets in south.
butter.  butter. butter.   Hey Ya'll.
Voted the most beautiful street in the USA - Jones St.
On Kelly's suggestion we ate at Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room.
 Two hour wait in the hot Savannah Sun......Worth it!
21 bowls of southern food and sweet tea:  $22.00.    The chicken is soaked in buttermilk before frying, of course.

We highly recommend the Old Savannah Tour Trolley .   Judy (on my right) and I have been friends since 5th grade and Joan since I was 20.   Some of you may know us as the Champagne Girls and we did have some. We missed Martha who was in Europe :(
Characters hop on and share Savannah Stories.  This is Franky, she was a welder in WWII.
 Next time I want to eat here!
Here is the sight of Forest Gump's bench where he narrated his story while he waited for the bus to see Jenny.
Fun shopping at the Paris Market.
Woo hoo a new Pressed Penny for my collection. What a cheesy ham I am.
Handsome devil.....
During the rain we checked out the Jepson Center Museum.  This is a giant air balloon mobile.
This where you can find The Bird Girl monument, made famous by the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.
The River Walk area has these gigantic cobblestones which was balist in cotton ships on the Savannah River.
 This reminded me of Diagon Alley.
The Bohemian Hotel has a very cool bar both on the roof and this one just steps from the River Walk.
I loved you Savannah!  Spending time with my oldest (ha ha) friends was a blessing and a gift.

Regular Quilt Posting will resume soon.  Tonight I'm presenting a program for The First Dutchess Quilters in Poughkeepsie, NY.

Have a wonderful week!

23 comments:

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I knew you would love it! The Pink House was on our list too but we never made it, next time!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your trip looks like it was Fun & Fabulous!
I love Savannah and you captured it with amazing photos.
Time away with girlfriends is just the best - happy you had a wonderful time!

Lori said...

Wow! That looks pretty amazing! Jones street- beautiful!! Thanks for the virtual look at Savannah! I've never been.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh what fun! It is always great to spend time with "old" friends, but even better in such a fantastic setting (even if they don't quilt - wink!).

Janet O. said...

Looks like a grand time. I enjoyed seeing the sights through your eyes. My only ventures into the south have been airports during layovers. : )

Monica said...

I loved Savannah. Looks like a great holiday!

Barb, where did you get that beautiful border fabric for your quilt? Is it American or an import?

Donna~~ said...

Looks like such fun and how special to have friend so "old". :)

CecileD said...

Ooooh Savannah seems to be a wonderful town ! I'm glad you spent unforgettable moments with your friends ! Thank you for this photoreport !

audrey said...

Very good times! Thanks for sharing it with us. Makes me want to go someday!

AnnieO said...

My parents loved Savannah too. Maybe I'll get to the South someday. Pressed pennies are so fun!

Jo said...

Looks like it would be great for a mom/daughter getaway too. Thx for sharing.
Love your dress!

Kyle said...

Your photos and travel stories are always so much fun. What a fabulous place to visit and share it with special friends. You all looked so cute! Savannah is not the place to worry about calories, that's for sure.

Janet said...

What a fun trip! I enjoyed your highlights :0) Your handquilting looks great - I look forward to seeing the whole quilt!

suzanne, dutchess county NY said...

Love Savannah! I have ancestral roots there. Absolutely enjoyed your lecture last night! I've been a blog follower and had you on the potential speakers list for the guild for three years. So worth the wait.

Barbara said...

What a great place to visit. Looks like you had lots of fun with your girlfriends! So much to see and do. Enjoyed your wonderful photos :)

Unknown said...

Who wouldn't love Savannah! We ate at the Pink House and our waitress had a connection to Reading,PA. Small world. Forest himself hopped on our bus. What fun! We did a night-time tour that was a real hoot too. Sounds like there are enough different choices for a whole other visit. Some day...

Barb said...

I agree! I'd like to visit a Plantation too.

Barb said...

Thank you Suzanne. I'm glad you enjoyed my program and hope to come back one day. Savannah has such a great history!

Barb said...

It sure would be Jo! thanks -it was from Kohls

Angie said...

Savannah is a wonderful place - looks like much fun was had! Next trip: New Orleans!

Ruth said...

What a wonderful tour! Would love to go there, but it's a little far for me now.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Savannah has been on my wish list since I read Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil and after seeing your photos I want to go there even more. I love that you get pressed pennies. You must have quite a few by now.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

What a fun read...so much variety. The Spanish moss trees are beautiful. Seeing all of those dishes prior to my dinner worked up an appetite...even Forrest Gumps bench...lol I enjoyed it all :)