Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Doll Quilts Everywhere!

Doll Quilts are everywhere right now. Yay!  Here is my February Modern Mini.

Candyland
I fussy cut stripes and printed fabrics to elevate my candy theme.  I took this snow shot outside this morning.
the backing
I did a drop diamond pattern with orange, yellow and 2 pink lines.  What do you think? 
My new unicorn scissors likes it.
I started with this, but it just was not the right scale for the small quilt.  So I doubled it by added lines each way.
Okay, it is a bit of cheat because it is also a new Lollipop Workshop Sample for my Finished Edge Machine Applique' Workshop.  I made a new one with different options.  I highly encourage pattern manipulation.

I read a few comments about having more binding on the back than the front (never bothered me), so I tried cutting my strip 1 1/2".
I pressed the edge up about 3/8".
It worked just fine.  So if you like less on the back, go for it.
Thank you to all who commented on my Single Binding Tutorial.  It was so nice to see new names in the comment area, sadly many of them were non-reply blogger :(

The little giveaway goes to Kathy who said:

Thanks for the tutorial, Barb, it was very helpful. I understand so much better when I have lots of pictures too.

Please email me (barb.vedder@gmail.com) with your  mailing address.  

 There was a big Doll Quilt swap hosted by Tossed_by_not_sunk     on Instagram. You can search for hashtag #dollquiltswaptbns2019 to see them.  So many cute little quilts.
Did you know that you can join Instagram on a laptop or tablet?  You just sign up in the APP store.  You don't have to share photos to enjoy seeing others.  It is an open platform and very fun. 

I'm going to have a giveaway on my Instagram Account, Fun With Barb on Friday so hurry and sign up and join the fun.  The prize will be this book, 4 FQS and a surprise.
My buddy, Wendy is hosting a Monthly Mini Sew Along for the second year.  check it out on her blog, the Constant Quilter, here and follow to see what we are making each month.  

Here is my next Doll Quilt Project.  It is definitely not modern.
I have wanted to make this quilt since I first saw it in this book:
Here is a peek and to show you that I NEVER get it right the first time.  That is why it is so great that you don't have to as long you get it.  3rd try is often the ticket for me.
Have a great week!   Eat some Chocolate Tomorrow :)
xo

11 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Fabulous mini quilt! I will link it at the end of the month when I post. Love those candy flowers! And as for next month's, I have always loved that quilt too. No surprise you love it since it is rather "Abe" like!

Lori said...

What a fun bright quilt for a winters day! Love the backing too!!! Little quilts are so much fun!!

Quilting Babcia said...

The first thing that popped into my addled brain when I saw this little sweet was the old pop song Lollipop! First recorded by the Chordettes in the late 1950s I think. Love the quilt, a perfect mini for this month! Now if I could just turn off the ear-worm ...

Janet said...

It a darling mini - I love the different coloured lines of quilting.

Kyle said...

I love Candyland. It's bright and bold and so whimsical. I also liked your use of different colored threads for the machine quilting. Why not!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Beautiful candyland quilt! I like all the fussy cutting, especially the cherries.

Janet O. said...

SO cute, Barb! And doubling up on the quilting lines does fit the scale better, IMHO.
I think I have the book where you found your inspiration. You have inspired me to browse through it again.
Do I have to wait until tomorrow to eat chocolate? How about a Valentine's Eve treat? :)

Diane said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you Barb! And Happy Anniversary too! Thanks for so much mini fun. I don't know what I want to explore first, but you've got me thinking tiny now. LOL

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Such a fun quilt I and I happened to play Candyland, Chutes and Ladders and Hungry Hungry Hippo today! I love the thin binding and yes it never bothers me if it is a little bigger on the back either.

Barbara said...

Candyland is such a happy quilt! What fun! The additional quilting worked out great. And I love your next Doll Quilt. It's been a favorite of mine ever since I can remember, lol! Happy V Day :)

CecileD said...

Your little quilt is adorable !!
Yes I knew for IG... I usually do it with my tablet ! But I take my pictures with my phone...
Ohhh you were very busy and I am late to let a comment ! Sorry....