I decided that since I was home alone for the long weekend, well home with coco, I would "cheat" on my 3 active projects and make something just for fun. This is my new little doll quilt and it was so fun.
Here is it on my little doll bed, all dressed up with a matching ruffled pillow sham. (That Annie could use a hair brushing!). I think my coco has been a little jealous of all the time I've spent with this little quilt.
Here is how it started and the steps to complete this project.
Finding this beautiful border print, with a smaller sized motif, perfect for a doll quilt. **Note, when using a border, think of how you will be cutting it up. Often you loose every other row due to seam allowances.
Deciding what use as a strippy, 4-patches it is.
Attaching the top border
I pin baste my small pieces with long flower head pins. I used Dream Request batting because it has a nice drape.
I decided this elegant quilt needed a matching pillow sham, so I made one. I started by eyeballing the pillow size and adding about 1/2 an inch seam allowance. I then started on a ruffle. I use the old double row of basting for this.
I decided to make a split finished back to that I could insert the pillow when I want to.
Oooops, I caught the ruffle when attaching the back. No big thang, I just released it and re-sewed that area.
I decided to take this opportunity to try machine quilting with silk thread. I used YLI and a 60 needle. I make a little practice piece with the same materials to check the stitch.
You may think this is a waste of time and material, but I have to tell you I find it works great, I check my stitch each time I turn on the machine, change a needle, spin a bobbin, anytime I stray from quilting, I check again. It has saved me on the dreaded "un-quilting" that can result in problems on the back.
I usually increase my top tension quite a bit and I use a "3" stitch length. So, this looks good front and back - yea!
I do all my walking foot, straight line stitching, then I do the free motion.
Here is a close up. My feathers still aren't as smooth or even as I would like, but I also don't practice as much as I should. I attached my binding before quilting the outer rows. I've learned the hard way after binding over my quilting -
Jo Morton suggested using a single binding on small projects. It is so much smoother and flatter and looks great. I cut this one 1 1/4, sewed it on then pressed it, I turned it over and pressed up a 1/8 little seam and pressed to the back to be stitched.
Here is the back. I used one other fabric from the Windham Line, "Folk Lore". And the label.
Thanks coco for being so patient and spending more time upstairs than you wanted to!
And now I will return to my regularly scheduled projects and catch up on all my blog reading.