Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Dear Doreen!

What a wonderful visit to Virginia and the Centreville Quilters Unlimited Guild.  I stayed with long time blog friend, Aunt Reen, in her beautiful country home.   She wrote a sweet post about the visit here.
Doreen and I quickly became great friends and we truly are kindred spirits.  She is the sister I wish I had.  Maybe I'll adopt her.

Here is Doreen's incredible Modern Dear Jane quilt.  She is internationally known for her incredible and innovative 13 month DJ program.  She has guided hundreds of women to compete this amazing quilt. 
 This quilt was selected by Brenda Papadakis for the Special Dear Jane Exhibit at the Vermont Quilt Festival in 2013.  Here is a link to see some of the incredible quilts.

Doreen hosted her sewing bee while I was there and they were an amazing group of talented and friendly ladies.   Here are just a few photos from show and tell.
https://threadmistress.com/2013/07/02/the-vermont-quilt-festival-wow/
 As usual I got so into the quilts that I forgot to take more photos - darn!!
The Hex workshop was great.  Look how hard they are all working learning the whip stitch.
After all our events were over, we celebrated Friday the 13th at a charming local pub.  I miss you already Doreen!

Quiltyfolk is a fabulous magazine and you can get the first issue reprint here.   They are also offering single issues at half price, with free shipping with new subscriptions.   Christmas is coming...... 
 I'm off today for the ASQG Seminar in New Hampshire.  I used my old stamping supplies to make labels for my centerpieces.  It was easy and fun.
Have a great week!
xo


24 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Woohoo! I hope to meet Doreen in the spring at the Virginia Quilt Museum event. Can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Quilter Kathy said...

Two of my favourite quilters in the same place at the same time! How fun!

Julierose said...

Just amazing quilts--thanks for sharing...likethe stamping idea for labels...hugs, Julierose

CecileD said...

A talented friend named Doreen, gorgeous quilts to see, serious students... no doubt your week was sooo fun and a real success !

Frog Quilter said...

Loving the pictures in this post. Wonderful appliqué.

Janet said...

Some great quilts. Have fun at the seminar!! Those are great labels.

Roxanne said...

Looks like a lot of fun and great quilts in the making! Thanks for the link to her blog—I’m a new follower.

Thimbleanna said...

Looks like you had fun Barb -- have a great time in New Hampshire!

Ruth said...

What a wonderful fun time! Thanks for the DJ link!

Quilting Babcia said...

What fun labels! You had a wonderful time with Doreen and it's obvious there was a lot of eye-candy to enjoy!

Janet O. said...

What a fun quilty life you lead, Barb. Apparently I need to check out Doreen's blog!

Lori said...

I bet that seminar will be great! Have fun!!

Amy said...

Ooooh, so sorry I missed your lecture and workshop! Next time (please be a next time)! Enjoy the seminar.

Nancy said...

So much quilty fun! And you got an added treat with the show-and-tell. Dear Jane quilts are quite amazing and it sounds as if Doreen sparked even more interest in making them. Lovely.

Kyle said...

Two very talented and inspiring quilter's together.

Barb said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time....what wonderful quilts and friendship

Barbara said...

Wow! You've got so much going on! Enjoyed the quilt pics from your VA visit :) Great little labels on your AQSG centerpieces. I know you'll have a wonderful time at seminar and look forward to hearing all about it!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Those quilts are beautiful! You are always on the go!

Karen said...

Doreen is quite talented. I have been following her blog for a good long while. Wonderful that you had an opportunity to teach there and to get to stay with her.
I like the Pilgrim fabric I see in one of your pictures.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I read both of your blogs so it was fun to read about you two meeting up :)

audrey said...

Ohh, so much fun! And the Dear Jane is just incredible!

LONA said...

What a wonderful time you must have had! :) Love the quilts, but I am especially drawn to the one that is behind you and your friend. It is fabulous! :)

Aunt 'Reen said...

Thank you for coming to Virginia to Teach & Lecture!
Our quilt guild loved your presentation and had a fabulous time at your workshop!
I'm very grateful for the opportunity to meet you in person.
I will always value these fond memories and our Friendship!

UplayOnline said...

Ohh, so much fun! And the Dear Jane is just incredible!


แคมฟรอก