Wednesday, October 10, 2018

AQSG 2018

Howdy!  I'm just back from Bethesda and the American Quilt Study Group Seminar.  Congratulations to all the organizers.

Maryland Quilt which was on the cover of the seminar booklet.
 A modern version of the quilt with contemporary fabrics.  It was auctioned and Sharon W. took this one home.
 This was my favorite version.  It was all solids and was part of the live auction as well.
 Thursday night there was a welcome reception and a bed turning.
 So many wonderful antique quilts and so much applique'!
 I adore this nine patch. It would be so fun to make.
 sigh.....
As you can see it is a popular event and taking photos can be difficult, lol.
Since Hanna has recently moved to DC, she came for a girls night at my hotel and on Friday we went to the National Zoo.

the Red Panda was in rare form playing and jumping around.
 Hanna found a sweet desert cat.
 The Pandas were inside and obviously exhausted from doing nothing.
 Moments before this photo this gorgous guy was on his feet and roared a several times.
 The ladies (3 of them) share the mountain exhibit and jumped to their feet.  This was taken before the excitement.
 My favorite: Elephants
They had a very large enclosure and we observed them from several locations.
They fill me with wonder.  I could watch them all day.

An artist was painting bees on this building.  So neat.
Back to Quilts.  These were just hanging around.
 What do you think Janet O?
 Lovely example of an Album quilt.
The centerpieces reflected Maryland with Crab and mallet served on newsprint little quilts with state flowers. We each took an embossed mallet home.  Lovely and thoughtful!
I spied this at the silent auction, but didn't win it.  I may try to make it.
I did,  however, win a big collection of fabulous old magazines.
 Finally a few quilts from Friday night show and tell~
Woo Hoo - extra large fan quilting!   This is exactly the look I based my stencil on.
 Sorry about the the focus.   so much lovely appliqued flowers!
I'll be back soon with another Seminar Report.  I hope you have enjoyed these quilts (and animals).
xo

22 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh what fun! I am not going to miss it next year! I love that little black children quilt too. My friend has one that she bought thinking it was an antique. I had to tell her they were made by the hundreds in the 1980's to look old. I still love them and we could actually use more appropriate fabrics today. Bet you'll have hours of fun with those magazines!

Nancy said...

What an excellent turnout for the event, and the organizers did a great job with all the special touches. Oh, those quilts-- heart goes pitty pat! You got a very good photo of that red panda. How nice your daughter was close and you could enjoy some time together.

rondiquilts said...

Another packed post. Thank you Barb. I'm not a member but have a few of their books that I enjoy. Last year I saw some of their basket study quilts at the Florida Quilt Museum in Trenton. That was a treat, I could have stayed all day admiring them all up close. Love that you and Hannah had time to spend at the zoo. Seems like murals on sides of buildings are popping up everywhere. Good for the artists and the communities. Spread art!
Rondi

Linda Swanekamp said...

Thanks for all the photos!

Karen said...

I love the auction quilt in the red, green, and cheddar. I wonder if they will sell a pattern.

Quilter Kathy said...

Another post filled with deliciousness...great photos!
Red panda?!? Never heard of it!
I love seeing elephants too!
I would love to know more about that fabulous (and very busy) scrappy quilt with all the little square in a square blocks...
I can't stop looking at it!

Janet said...

So many gorgeous, gorgeous qults! So very inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures :0) I'm glad you got to spend some time with Hanna. That Applique quilt at the end of your post is amazing!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

What a fabulous post! Lots of eye candy. Love the Janet O too! I just bought an old falling apart quilt that I know you would love. It was only $20 but the fabrics are great!

audrey said...

So many good quilts. Your mind must be swimming with inspiration!

Janet said...

The fan design looks fabulous. I love the tan and red bird quilt above the fan stencil quilt (am I correct on the pattern?). Thank you for sharing.

Chantal said...

Wow! There's a lot here. Let me go back up. Oh yes! The live auction quilt all in solid, is it quilted? In the picture, it looks like it's a top. Love the border on the quilt of the first picture of the bed turning event. Big flying geese with a frame of HSTs, just gorgeous!! Lucky you for winning at the silent auction. I love Lady's Circle magazines. They were very rare in Canada but I managed to get my hands on a few. Don't know exactly why but I just love those magazines. Thank you so much for sharing all these gorgeous quilts and your own private time at the zoo. It was a fun and beautiful post. ;^)

McQuilt said...

Here is a link that will help you get the pattern. It's really a wonderful quilt. https://reproquiltlover.com/2018/01/im-stitching/

Barbara said...

Ahh to be at AQSG and seeing all those bed turning quilts in person was probably like being in heaven! Love that hanging scrap quilt. Glad to see you won some old mags at the auction--enjoy! We'd been to that zoo many years ago. Love all your animal pics and it was so nice that Hanna could join you :)

Ann said...

Thanks for sharing the beautiful quilts. The large fans are quite striking. Making a stencil that size was a good idea as it's hard to quilt such large curves freehand.

Marge said...

Such a wonderful seminar filled with inspiration! It was great to spend time with you!

Kyle said...

Oh, my! What a awesome collection of beautiful quilts. I'm sure you're mind is whirling with inspiration. Getting to see those quilts in person would have been a neat experience. My favorite? The last photo. Wow!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bobbi said...

I donated the album filled with vintage fabrics - my mom collected them over the years. I'm anxious to hear if it was coveted by someone. But my other reason to post is - I think I have a complete collection of LCPQ that I'd love to sell. Pristine condition. Julie S knows how to reach me.

Angie said...

What a fun weekend! Thanks for sharing so many AQSG photos; all the quilts were wonderful, but I especially liked the first "hanging around" quilt. Special memories for you and Hanna from the National Zoo! It's one of my favorite places in DC. Ladies Circle Patchwork Quilts was such a great source for traditional quilts - you should have hours of fun looking at those!

Lori said...

Wow! It looks like a fantastic quilt seminar!! The 12 block sampler is so unusual- looks like anything goes! What amazing and beautiful quilts.

Nann said...

Thanks for sharing the Seminar photos. The zoo photos, too!

Janet O. said...

Oh, my! What a great post! A wonderful bed turning, and then the fun zoo photos!
Absolutely love the bees on the building (my daughter is a bee fanatic).
I'll tell you what I think of that quilt--I want it! Six of one block, two of another, two of another, and then two random single blocks--and LOTS of tiny pieces in beautiful scraps!! What's not to love? Reminds me of Long Time Gone, looking like a bunch of mini quilts put together. Would be fun to replicate even one of the blocks as a mini quilt. Hmmm.