Friday, June 9, 2023

Quilting and Norway Part 1

Come for  the Quilting - Stay for the Norway photos.
I machine outline quilted my Vedderstone quilt top.  Now I'm adding details with big stitch quilting. 
I missed the deadline in Cecile's sew along for the prizes, but I will enjoy this quilt.  I also think it would make a great baby quilt.

Norway Ho!   

We planned a post wedding European trip and it was fabulous.  We flew overnight out of Kennedy airport.   Our car is somewhere out there.  I'm astonished by the sheer volume of travelers through New York City.
First Stop:  Amsterdam!
What a vibrant, busy and charming city. 
Cheese is very prominent in Holland.  How cute is this shop!
We took a self guided walking tour to a Pancake House that Hanna and David recommended.  Can you tell this guy didn't sleep much?
This is how they serve pancakes - with whipped cream AND ice cream.
A quick walk by the Ann Frank House and Museum. 
 I would love to have gotten tickets for a tour, but we had a boat to catch!  

We cruised aboard the new ship:  Rotterdam of Holland America.  Me and my boys.
Cocktail hour was a great time to talk about our day and getting ready for a nice evening on the ship.
The artwork on this ship was incredible.  I will be sharing it a little at a time. 
 Yay - a crocheted piece.
I was so happy to see crafty art.  I loved these paper cutting sculptures.
First Port:  Ulvik, Norway
So small, so charming.....  We visited this beautifully painted church.
We just took a walk about.   We like to do our own thing when we can.
I picked this charming little house on the water as my favorite place to live in Ulvik.
We like to help the local businesses when in port when we have time.  The coffee here was wonderful and the view was fabulous.  (check out that cloud reflection on the table).
We had a beautiful cruise through the Hardanger Fjord which is how Hardanger Lace got its name.
So many waterfalls in the Fjords.
We passed under this bridge, with 2 feet to spare.  It allows residents to visit locations that used to take hours, days or a boat to reach.
So gorgeous.  
If you're still with me here is one of my favorite Far Side cartoons.
I'm so grateful that we we had the opportunity to take such a special trip.
Happy Friday!
xo

19 comments:

Jayne Honnold said...

Thank you for the wonderful tour! Yes, I stayed for the whole post, and will look forward to further pics of the artwork on the ship.

Kyle said...

What a awesome trip. Travel gives you those special memories and spectacular views.

Quilting Babcia said...

I could have looked at a hundred more photos! We travel vicariously these days. Gorgeous scenery!

Lori said...

Incredible! Love the paper cutting ships! Wow! A lot of WOW going on in this post. What a special time of making memories with your family.
Vedderstone turned out really cute!

Diane said...

What an incredible trip! I've alway wanted to cruise the fjords--all that rugged beauty. Jim spent 2 weeks in Belgium and the Netherlands this April and loved it. Vedderstone Ranch is coming together nicely. Relax and enjoy the process!

Rose Marie said...

Wow .... what a trip! Your Vedderstone Ranch is coming along nicely.

Judy in Michigan said...

Love, love, love your adventures. Beautiful. I think I have some Hardanger lace. I will have to find some to show you. Thanks for taking me along on the cruise.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Oh what beautiful places! Lovely food too. Keep the travel photos coming! Your Vedderstone Ranch is so fun.

Barbara Black said...

Great photos, thanks for sharing!

cityquilter grace said...

ah norway....my dream trip...i won't ever get there so thank you for all the lovely pix and keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

Scandinavia is on our bucket list! A cruise is a great way to travel there. Your quilt is charming Gail at the Cozy Quilter

gladiquilts said...

What a fantastic trip! It’s so nice to be able to travel again without worrying about Covid. Thanks so much for sharing your photos. Your quilt looks great and I love that you are adding the big stitch quilting.

Barbara said...

Love your Vedderstone quilt with its big stitches. What a wonderful trip with your "boys." The scenery is amazing. I'd stop in that cheese shop for sure! And the crafty art is wonderful :)

Nann said...

What a wonderful time you had! Love the quilt.

audrey said...

Your trip looks so fun! How wonderful to have a little time away.:)

liz said...

What wonderful pictures : )
Your boys are very handsome : )

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Vedderstone is really coming along! Love the added big stitch. So much texture. The Norway photos are just out of this world. Such a great trip!

Yvonne said...

O my, you where so close to me in Amsterdam. Hope you enjoyed that busy, crazy, full capitol of ours. What a difference with the quiet serenity of Norway. I loved traveling with you through your pictures.
Vedderstone is coming along really pretty.

Janet O. said...

Vedderstone is looking so good. I really like the way you added random stitches to the shingled roof.
I am so excited to see your Norway photos! We are in talks with friends about doing Norway next spring. I'm not holding my breath, but I am hopeful!
The art on your ship is amazing.
I got a giggle from the cartoon of the Norway "Fords".