Friday, December 15, 2023

Hello Bloglandia - Anyone Home?

Happy Holiday Month!  Just popping in to do a little life journaling with photos.  I have to back to Thanksgiving to catch up.

Hanna ran a 5 mile Turkey Trot.  I could not more proud of her.  She is registed to run a half marathon in DC in March.
We had a wonderful dinner together and indulged on the leftovers.

We spent a week eating, drinking and hanging out.  We won't be together this Christmas so we splurged.

We went to an escape room and it was so fun.  We almost finished it!  Hightly recommend as a family activity.   More eating....this is Yale staple pizza dive that is always fun visit.

I visited the New England Quilt Museum and did a gallery talk the Saturday after.  I met up with Meliss and Wendy!  yay!

Here is wendy by her quilt (on bottom)
Brenda, Gwen's daughter came and it was so wonderful to meet her for  the first time.  She reminds me so much of Gwen!  I'm hopeful that she will put together an exhibit of her mothers quilts.
On Sunday Hanna and I went to NC to the Biltmore Estate to see the chrsitmas displays.  I started each day with a little applique in the lobby.  

The Mansion and Grounds are absolutely incredible.  Worth every penny to tour.  Here are some of the decorations.  My favoirte:  The Library Tinsel Tree

This little Japanese tree was so so charming.  
There were more than 70 decorated Christmas Trees this year!  The winery was fun to visit - this is the entrance cellar hall talk about dramatic.
Sadly, I picked up a bug and spend several doing this.... I watch The Gilded Age which was perfect after visiting the Biltmore.
My Modern Quilt Guild had a lovely party!  I brought a cheese ball.  Who can resist a cheese ball?
The decorations were lovely.
We had a gift exchange and I made this runner for  Carolyn who loves neutrals and the beach.  I unofficially named it Wave Runner....ha ha.
I received this sweet thread catcher bucket.
I am still working on my scarf.  I had no idea how long it takes to crochet a scarf!  I added fringe to the finished edge.  More Gilded Age watching.....Ada is my favorite characater.
I received bit news!  My entry has been in a photograph in this post.
Well, if you're still with me, I wish you a peaceful, happy and healthy holiday season.
I make no promises, but I don't intend to completely disappear from Bloglandia.
xo









21 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

i know you have a busy life so you are excused...lol...great photos and enticing tour photos...do continue to blog when you can...signed an avid reader and quilty devotee!

Julierose said...

You've had a busy and fun-filled run-up to Christmas so far!!;))))
Those trees are just gorgeous, aren't they? It was so nice to see a post from you pop up this morning; I've missed your lovely postings....

I hope you and yours have a wonderful Holiday, Barb..hugsx2 Julierose

Chantal said...

Such a wonderful, fun-filled post (except for the bug part) this morning. You had a good time with family and friends. Wonderful pictures, wonderful memories. Love the tree's parade. AWEsome! Have a wonderful Christmas time to you and yours. No more bugs, you hear! Lol. ;^)

Angie said...

Excellent Christmas sweater!!
Wishing you happy holidays and the funnest new year ever!

Cissa K said...

Happy Holidays and a happy 2024 to you and your family

The Cozy Quilter said...

Fun to see what you and yours have been up to. I will be looking for your quilt at QuiltCon! Gorgeous trees and decorations at Biltmore! We were there once in the Spring the year they had the costumes from Downton Abbey on display. Looks like you had lots of fun family time at Thanksgiving! Take care.

Janet O. said...

You and I have been absent from Bloglandia for the same length of time--until now. I still don't have a post ready! Sewing just isn't happening!
Looks like you had a great Thanksgiving with your family.
I am so happy Wendy was able to make it to your presentation and curated show. And really cool that Gwen's daughter was able to be there.
Wow--the Biltmore is incredible! They recently aired a Hallmark movie filmed there and my sister-in-law recorded it and brought it for me to watch, because she wanted me to see the house--mansion!
Wave Runner--such a clever name, and a really lovely runner.
The thread bucket has some nice things inside. :)
Very exciting about Quiltcon! Congrats!!
I hope you don't disappear--I don't plan to either, but I need to get busy and do something about it.
Merry Christmas, Barb!

CecileD said...

Hello dear friend !
I know you are very busy !! Who isn't in December ??
Thank you for all the pics in your post.
I'm glad you got to meet Wendy again !
Do you know that Randy came to see me at my house a few days ago ?? It was fantastic !
Happy New Year and Merry Christmas !
xoxo
Cécile

Chris said...

Great post, Barb! Fun to see what’s happening with you and your family. I actually just finished hand quilting my first bed-size quilt! Who knew I’d be doing that after so many years of machine quilting? But I loved it. Take care and Merry Christmas!

Janet said...

So fun to make new memories with your family at Thanksgiving! Love the wave runner quilt!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a great post! I would like to think you have inspired me to get busy and do one too! I love all your great photos, but especially love how your eagle applique colors fit so nicely into the Biltmore decor. LOL!! Thanks for all your inspiration!!

Susie H said...

You've been busy -- always! Ever since you spoke to us at TAS, I considered ordering your fan template. I finally did and can't wait for its arrival. Loved the pictures of your trip to Biltmore. Mom & I took a bus trip from the St. Louis area to the Biltmore during the Christmas season in 2010. My dad had passed away earlier that year and we needed a joyful getaway. Biltmore sure fit the bill and I shared your pictures with her. It brought her joy all over again. Thanks for such upbeat, beautiful, and family-oriented posts. On top of it all, your quilts are beautiful and your quilting adventures are wonderful. Lori shared your curated Gwen Marston exhibition. Kudos to you -- job well done!!!

Nancy said...

Enjoyed your post and photos! Oh how I'd love to tour the Biltmore at Christmas- what a treat. And lots of family fun and eating- so enjoyable. I like the Wave Runner and those thread catcher baskets are so useful. Merry Christmas!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Lots of wonderful family time. Congratulations about QuiltCon! I will have to put the Biltmore at Christmas on my list of outings in coming years. I hope you keep blogging. For some reason I just don't post as often, and I don't check my sidebar as often either. Maybe because I'm scrolling Instagram so often?

Quilting Babcia said...

Thanks for the newsy "letter from home." Clearly you've been busy having fun! I so remember the days of icicle trees, a great way to add glitter and magical light to a tree that had few lights or other decorations. My sister and I would carefully separate the strands and place them carefully for the best impact. It always seemed magical to us, especially in the evening with our eyes slightly squinted!

Nann said...

It was so good to see your post in the feed today. You've had a busy couple of months with good friends, family, and food. Congratulations on the Quilt Con acceptance. And how cool to meet Gwen's daughter. Have a wonderful Christmas and do post again soon.

Barbara said...

Loved reading about your family's activities. Had to look up what an "escape room" is! Congrats to Hanna for completing a 5-mile race and to you for having a quilt accepted at Quiltcon. So glad you got together with Wendy at NEQM. Wow! What a spectacular holiday display. We always added tinsel to our tree when I was little so it's no surprise that the library tinsel tree is my fave! Have a wonderful Christmas, Barb!

FlourishingPalms said...

How lovely to get to spend time with family over Thanksgiving. No doubt you reveled in it, knowing you wouldn't be with them for Christmas. It's lovely to see the Biltmore, and especially with holiday decorations. I can't imagine how many hours volunteers spend setting up the trees, and decorating everything. That tinsel tree is my favorite. How nice to have a quilt museum close enough to spend time in! Great pictures there too. And congratulations on your QuiltCon acceptance! It's a huge honor to have one's quilt(s) in the show, and I'm delighted for you. Merry Christmas! Many blessings.

liz said...

I hope not, Instagram is fun but not totally satisfying.

Chookyblue...... said...

playing catch up......how nice to see Miss Wendy at a quilty thing.........
wow that christmas display looks amazing......I would love to see it......looks like nice family time together..........Merry Christmas........

rondiquilts said...

Barb you may have been late in posting but I'm later, I'm just now catching up. Congrats on the QuiltCon entry! Whoop!!! Many thanks for all you did for the Gwen exhibit at the NEQM. It was wonderful to see so many visit it and post photos about it. Congrats to Hannah, and how exciting to be planning for a 1/2 marathon in DC. I can just imagine how cool the route would be around DC. Thank you for being faithful to still blogging no matter how long it is between posts. Its always a treat to come and see what you have been up to.
Lets hope all the sickness is left in 2023!
Rondi