Friday, November 16, 2012

Fun For Friday - Reading as a Sport, Chowder, and a Cheap Trick

When I'm not reading, I read books and lists about Reading.....Huh?

I almost exclusively listen to books on my ipod.  The sources I use are my local library, itunes and audio.com.  I try not listen to my book when I go to bed because I loose my place.

So, instead I read about reading.

Here are my favorite books on the subject:


The books above and below were gifts from my dear friend, Mary B.  We've had many great book talks over the years.


This is a card game that I've never played, but I love reading the cards.


If you google "book lists" or "reading lists" there is a plethera of them on the web.   Also on the web, I'm a member of Library Thing.  Here is my page if you want to see it.



Last weekend my son requested Corn Chowder.  I got this great recipe from Susan McD.  It goes well with a good book on a cold day.

Maize Chowder  - (at our house corn is always referred to as "maize" in November.)

1/2 lb bacon 2" pieces (more if you like more)
4 or 5 red potatoes cut into 1" cubes
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (use more for a thinner soup)
3 cups creamed corn
1 cup whole corn
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Crushed red pepper to taste
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 cups half & half  (I use fat free and it works just fine)
Optional:  last time I added cubed cooked chicken

Cook bacon in stock pot
Add onion and potatoes cook 5 mins.
Add broth, creamed corn, corn, and spices
Bring to boil then let simmer stirring often about 30 mins.

Heat half & half in separate pan until it bubbles on sides but not boiling.  Add to soup and serve.




Here is a cheap trick that I love.   I buy cute seasonal 8" paper plates at the party stores, dollar stores and recently the Christmas Tree Shop.  Aren't they cute?
We use them for dessert around here and they are great for entertaining too.


To get the biggest bang out of my cheap plates, I stack them up alternating the designs.


Fun, right?

So grab a book, a bowl of chowder, and a cute plated treat and enjoy!


19 comments:

libbyquilter said...

the chowder sounds yummy and looks quick to make. will have to give it a try on one of these cold november days.
i'm currently re-reading "The Stand" by Stephen King. i'm amazed at how much of it i have forgotten . . . i guess it has been quite a number of years since i read it the first time~!
love the quilts in this post~!!~perfect for fall.

:-)
libbyQ

Mayleen said...

Your corn chowder recipe sounds delicious! Cold weather makes me want to make soup so this will be a welcome addition to my recipes. Now if it would only rain and get nasty it would be perfect soup weather! (OK, let me amend that - rain and nasty weather after Thanksgiving. Then it would be perfect weather for soup!)

antique quilter said...

love using those plates for dessert too. Ok love that little quilt under the soup! great for a placemat.
thanks for the book suggestions my DH loves to read and now has caught up and looking for new authors these books might be perfect Christmas presents
thanks for the post
I found it very interesting
Kathie

Thimbleanna said...

Ha! I see my book group's list printed out up there. (But what is that note you have by Revolutionary Road -- inquiring minds want to know LOL.) Sadly, I'm no longer in that book group -- it just became too stressful and in a pare down my life move, I bailed out. I do occasionally miss the reading inspiration, but not the stress. I envy your ability to listen to books on tape -- I've tried, but my mind wanders and then I wonder what the reader has been saying. And finally, thanks for those first two pictures -- those books look pretty cool and I must check them out!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I love to read too! Right now I am reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, so far so good.
The soup sounds good especially because it is cold today, do I see President Lincoln salt and pepper? You crazy girl!













OT Quilter said...

I, too, read and collect books about reading (and libraries!) I did not know about the Jack Murningham book, but it's on my list now! All of the others are in my library, too. We'll have to have a chat about this and share some titles and authors. And corn chowder, yum!

Janet O. said...

I also find I don't stay with the reader when I try listening to books. Drat!
Love the little quilts underneath it all--so cute! And what a fun idea with the dessert plates.
Just made a big pot of potato bacon soup yesterday. Maybe I'll sprinkle in some cayenne and pepper flakes. DH would like that. : )

Maureen said...

Thanks for the book inspiration, Barb! I love to read, but only listen to books on long car trips. Otherwise, I get distracted. The soup looks yummy!

One Minnesota Quilter said...

I think one of the secret ingredients of your soup recipe is the darling quilt underneath! You reminded me about a corn chowder recipe that I haven't used for a few years - but yours looks like one I will try too.

I also listen to audio books while quilting and doing things around the house. It has been a way to "read" many books that I would not have otherwise.

The plate idea fun and inexpensive - fun post!

Judy

regan said...

What a sweet little quilt for your placemat! I love it! And a great idea with the paper plates.....so pretty!

The 'Library Thing' site is awesome! I had no idea that even existed! Years ago, I asked my mother (who was an English teacher way back when) to suggest the 'must read' books of our time. Having gone to an 'artsy fartsy' high school, where there was no required reading list, but everyone learned how to make stained glass windows, I've always felt I lacked the knowledge that comes from reading the classics. And every time there is a Greek Mythology category on Jeopardy, I kick myself that I haven't read anything off of her list yet! Dang! I'm heading over to REALLY check out your 4 and 5 starred books now......now that I don't work, I need to get started on this! Sheesh! :o)

Nifty Quilts said...

Thanks for the tip on book lists! I'm always looking for a good "listen" from my library. I love how it lets me multi-task with sewing.

Rachaeldaisy said...

I've discovered audio books this year and love them! I've been working my way through the shelves at my local library. I'd never thought to look up lists or find books about books. That is a great idea! Your Chowder recipe made my mouth water, especially seeing it all laid out, ready to eat, with that wonderful place mat. Your paper plates are lots of fun too, especially mixed up like a lucky dip.

Lori said...

I checked out your book list and see we've read several of the same ones. I only listen to book on tape if I am traveling by myself, all the others are books from the library.
Fun fall plates!

Janet said...

You are just full of great ideas!! I love your placemat and other 9 patch quilt peeking out from underneath in this post :0)

Jan said...

In my bookshelves, there are quite a few books about books - I love them! And, reviews, too. My favorite book about reading is Anna Quindlen's, "How Reading Changed My Life".
Love your placemat & the strippie quilt on the table. There are odd sets of paper plates around my house. I guess we should be using them, too. Another good idea!

QuiltSue said...

That chowder looks yummy. I'm going to have to give that a go this winter so thanks for giving the recipe.

Teresa Rawson said...

Thanks for this post. Now I know some places to go and find books. I need to listen to books more while sewing (instead of listening to the crappy TV - I mean, just how many times can I watch the Jane Austen movies?!?). My favorite book right now is "The 13th Tale" by Diane Setterfield. The two women that read it are fantastic and the story has several great plot twists.

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Kyle said...

What a fun post today. I'm a audio book reader too. Just finished The Budda in the Attic by Julie Otsuka. I've added your Maze Chower to my soup file. I'm going to make it soon. Also loved the mini quilt. Very sweet.

Brandie said...

Yummy! Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try this one out. I'm thinking tomorrow night and maybe with a loaf of crusty bread. Good rainy day food.
Take care!