Tuesday, December 1, 2015

A Christmas Story!

It is my hands down favorite Christmas Movie.  I can watch it again and again and again.  I can recite whole passages, to the utter dismay of anyone watching with me.

Last June on the way to the farm Hanna helped me fulfill a dream: to visit Ralphie's house in Ohio.

Here is OUR story:

We are arrived and there it is!!  I see the leg lamp in the window
 Upon entering the home we heard the back story of how the house/museum was created.  Then we actually got to touch and handle all the items!

"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!"
It's time for the Lone Ranger....
They even included the wad of electrical wires - I literally have this behind my village display (I'll share soon).
It could be a bowling alley in there....a MAJOR AWARD...  Fraageeelie
 "Can't a man get any privacy for crying out loud..."
 "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine....a commercial?  son of a b****"
 "Mrs. Schwartz, do you know what my son said?  he heard it from your son."
 The soft glow of Electric Sex (you used all the glue on purpose!)
 My little Randy hiding in the cupboard - Daddy's gonna kill Ralphie.
 "My mother hasn't eaten a hot meal in 12 years."
 "Show Mommy how the piggy eats...."
 The scene of the backyard bandits
 The Leg Lamp and house Christmas lights burn all year round.
Come On!!! Get going kid!
Here are some of the items in the Movie Museum on the property.
 There she is...what a beauty the Red Ryder BB Gun with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time - poetry...........You'll shoot your eye out.
We had such a wee of a time, thanks for letting me indulge today!

I brought home Ralphie's house and nestled it into my Dickens Village :)
I hope you all had a very lovely Thanksgiving.  We had a nice quiet day.  Here is my table set with wine and butter.  Do we need anything else?  ha ha

My new project that has been sorely neglected for weeks with all the holiday preparations and decorating that has been happening.  I have been posting a lot of that on IG but will do a blog post in the coming weeks.

This is the nine patch swap that started all the FWB swaps!

ho Ho HO everyone!  Happy December 2015.

27 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Whoa, we are waaaay too much alike! I love the nine-patch so far too.

Kyle said...

What a hoot. I'm not going to triple dog dare you to put your tongue on a cold flag pole. Good thing you visited in the summer.

Lori said...

What a hoot! Were you the only ones visiting the house that day? Where in Ohio?! I LOVE it!!
How cool you got to bring home a little house of your own. I look forward to the 24hour marathon !!

Nifty Quilts said...

So fun to see all this! The Christmas Story is my favorite Christmas movie too. We've been watching it every Christmas for about 20 years! Beautiful 9-patch you've got going there.

CecileD said...

What a funny post Barb !! No doubt that it is your favorite Christmas story !!
I luuuuuuv all the photos !!
Thank you to make me laugh a lot !!
Your quilt is beautiful.....I'm impatient to admire it !
Hugs !:)

Judy in Michigan said...

My hubby enjoyed your post today - he is a bigger fan than you (well, maybe). You keep giving me ideas about the layout of the 9-patches - I will need to put them in a hat and pick one - I love them all!!!

Diane said...

You look like you are having way too much fun!And the nine patch quilt setting is gorgeous!!

Karen said...

A very favorite Christmas movie of mine too. I look forward to it being on all day Christmas Day and watch it more than once.

Marge said...

Barb, great quilt!...I'm going to love (copy) that quilt! That's an interesting way to showcase the toile.

Cheryl Lynch Quilts said...

Quite an interesting post. I'm so glad to see your passion for this movie. Can't wait to see your Dickens village.

Teresa Duryea Wong said...

You are hysterical! I love your post and I too love that movie. What a classic. Had no idea the house was a museum.

Janet O. said...

I've never seen the movie. I know, probably the only person left on earth that hasn't.
Love the 9-patch!

Angie said...

What a hoot! Absolutely loved hearing about your adventures at Ralphie's - what memories you'll have! And oh, be still my heart - you're using toile with your 9 patch swap blocks!! Can't wait to see the results!

sjb said...

Thank you for sharing all of your photos of the house/museum. This is on my bucket list to visit! Every December we say we're going but we can't find the time. Love the little house that you brought home with you too!

AnnieO said...

Janet O and I are the only ones who haven't seen that movie! Glad you enjoyed your hands on visit!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Such a TOTALLY FUN blog post!
I love the visit and re-enactments.... wonderful!
How awesome you were able to pick up Ralphie's house for your Dickens collection!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

HYSTERICAL! OUr favorite movie too. We turn it on first thing Christmas morning and let it play in the background all day long. What fun the two of you had exploring all of Ralphie's childhood things! You are too funny girl!

Nancy said...

Too much fun, and great photos! what an enjoyable post.

Kim said...

You are not going to believe it but I have never seen the movie. I just love that Hanna went along with all your scenes :0) too funny.

Happy Dec.my daughter is coming to visit today :0) for a whole week......yeah!

Rachaeldaisy said...

OOHH I haven't even heard of that movie - I'll make sure I do this Christmas, it looks like lots of fun. I love that leg lamp! ! I usually watch The Grinch or It's a Wonderful Life. You come up with the best nine patch layouts!

regan said...

No one in our family EVER says fragile anymore.....it's ALWAYS fra-geee-lay! LOVE that movie....looks like you two had a ball! I can't believe they let you touch everything! Awesome!

Thimbleanna said...

OhMyGosh -- you're hysterical! Clearly, I need to watch that movie again -- I don't know all the lines LOL!!!

Barbara said...

Hi Barb! What a fun post! I can't believe you "moved right in." Priceless pics. Love your nine-patch with toile. What a great combination! Cheers!

Jan said...

What fun! Loved your tour through A Christmas Story' house. I'm adding it to my road trip list.
Your new 9 patch project is another beauty in the making. The toile is such a great idea.

Sujata Shah said...

I have never watched that movie, putting it on my list to watch this year. Your story looks so much fun. Loved seeing all the pictures but I am sure they will make more sense to me once I see the movie, right? Both You and Hanna are hilarious!
Your nine patch quilt is looking pretty. My patches are in a box, waiting to be shipped! Have a wonderful December and Merry Christmas!

Lori R. said...

Wishing you and your family a wonderful Holiday Season! Merry Christmas and Happy and Healthy New Year to you all!!

Maureen said...

Now I want to watch A Christmas Story again! Had no idea there was a house/museum of the movie. What fun!
Your Thanksgiving table looks so welcoming.
LOVE the 9-patches surrounded with the red and toile!