Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Happy February!

Punxsutawney Phil says that spring is on its way!   Actually we haven't had much of a winter if I'm honest.

This wasn't on my UFO list, but I did finish these pretty ornaments in time for  Valentines Day.

I also finished this little dolly quilt while on my first January retreat.
Do you like a flat quilt?
Or a washed and crinkly quilt?  I like this one :)
I finished the baby quilt and I'm just waiting for the baby information so I can make a cute label.
I used this sweet Paris print to set the swap blocks.
I tried this "Green Batting" from Quilters Dream and I liked it, especially after I washed the quilt.  
I used a Paris Black and White print on the back.  My friend, Norma, gave it to me and it is perfect!
I went on a second retreat in January and it was a great retreat center with nice big sewing stations.
We each had our own little dorm room.  I brought 2 quilts because it was a really cold weekend!
Well some of you may have noticed on Instagram, I joined a group to work on Jane Stickle blocks.  Jane Stickle of Bennington VT is the original maker/designer.

I started with a modern bright color palette, but its not working for me.  
I have decided to, with the support of my great friend, Wendy Reed to make this quilt potholder style.  I'll let you know what my color theme will be soon.

On the wild side, just today I saw this beautiful hawk land in my tree.  He was flying with another hawk but she kept going.
I saw this lovely doe having a little breakfast last week.
I hope you had a nice peaceful January and I wish a happy February!
xo

11 comments:

Ginger Scott said...

So nice to see your blog again. I love that Paris print in the baby quilt;it gives the quilt a bright, modern feel.Thanks for sharing.

Nann said...

The alternate print for the swap blocks makes 'em shine. Two retreats in a month -- what a jolt of inspiration!

cityquilter grace said...

i agree with nann...the paris print really makes that quilt..taking on dear jane? you are courageous and better than i...no doubt it will be gorgeous

The Cozy Quilter said...

Aren’t retreats wonderful? I am going on two retreats in March. I get lots done and it’s fun to sew with others! Your little doll quilt is so cute! I don’t usually wash my quilts unless they get dirty. I absolutely love the baby quilt. The Paris fabric sets off the swap blocks perfectly. Lucky baby! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Robin said...

How fun to be able to attend two retreats. The Paris quilt is so fresh looking. I really like what you have done here. I'll have to check out that green batting And, I'm a flat quilt girl.

Janet O. said...

Those ornaments are beautiful, Barb. Really special!
Love the Paris attitude of the baby quilt. (I really got a kick out of the churn dash block with the mustaches in the middle!) I am headed to Paris in July, but don't know that I will have a chance to find any locally themed fabrics.
Wonderful that you got to retreat again. It is so refreshing.
In the last 4 years I have had exactly one overnight retreat. I need to do something about that.
Kudos to you for tackling Dear Jane. So are you starting again in a different color palette? You couldn't have found better help for a potholder quilt than Wendy--for sure.
Love your nature shots!

Susie H said...

I have seen quite a few Jane quilts made in my guild but I've not seen one done in the pot holder way. Should help to get it 100% finished! Two retreats in January? What a great way to start 2024!

Barbara said...

What a fun post, Barb! Your V-Day ornaments are s-o-o pretty and the Paris-vibe baby quilt is absolutely delightful! Kudos for delving into making a Dear Jane quilt potholder-style. Wendy is the perfect support person! Beautiful hawk and doe. Last week I actually saw a Bald Eagle flying above the river in our back yard!

audrey said...

Your valentines birds are super sweet! Love them!:) And so fun to finish up a baby quilt too. They can be quite satisfying!

Amy said...

After a February full of family travel, finally getting back to reading favorite blogs. Love that you're doing the Dear Jane quilt. Probably should set my DJ blocks, but I'm busy finishing the basket block quilt that I dug out of the archives when you were working on a basket quilt (2 years ago?). Love, love the French swap baby quilt! I counted five of my contributions! Glad you liked those fabric combinations and I sure hope the baby enjoys picking out all the different pictures. (I loved making those blocks!) The Paris fabric is the perfect setting fabric! Here's to a year of Fun with Barb!

Quilting Bibliophagist said...

I loved the use of that airy print alternating with the swap blocks.