Monday, July 22, 2024

Baby It Is HOT!!

 Oooh weee, it's been hot! I've been staying in most afternoons and sewing.  Here is Jill's. 

As of now, the whole center section is finished.  I am on target to finish by end of September.

I attended a Bonsai workshop at a CT nursery with my friends, Scarlett and Lisa.
Here are the results of our efforts.
Here is my plant in it's home setting.  A lot of petals dropped off at first but it is doing pretty well.
I finished my new quilt top.  
I pinned it and I'm almost finished with the machine quilting on my Janome Home sewing machine.
 Last weekend I attended a workshop to learn how to make Shibori fabrics.  They are dyed with Indigo.  Our friend, Liz, did all the prep and walked us through the process.
It was hot but the process and results are so cool. 
Aren't they Wonderful?  I just love how each one is different!
Here are the four pieces that I created.  My pieces are a bit lighter because I had to leave early and my soakings were not quite as long.   Nutmeg approves.
Over the 4th of July we had family time out on the Long Island Sound aboard, our boat, Manitou.  Here she is finally on the water.
After months in the repair shed......
Here's her new keel - nice, huh? lol.  Now I don't know much, but those look like holes in the hull to me.  just saying....
My beautiful kids.
Our son in law, David, he looks like a natural.
I wish you all a happy summertime!  Stay cool and Be Kind.
xo
barb

15 comments:

Robin said...

The Shibori making looks like so much fun. Your quilt came together quickly and looks so nice.

cityquilter grace said...

lovely dye job...yeah it's hot hot hot here too...if i could run as fast as my electric meter i would be thin like olive oyl....LOL

Anonymous said...

Barb, your Shibori creations are great! They look so lovely hanging on the clothesline. Glad you were able to enjoy being on the boat with your family. Wishing you calm seas! kelley

Julierose said...

Your stars quilt is really lovely--so soft and comfy looking; and I can see that Jill's quilt is coming along really well.
The shibori fabrics are so beautiful--I just have always loved blue and white...
I hope your maiden voyage aboard Manitou was a good one...just a lovely craft...
Stay as cool as you can--it sure is HOT out there...
Hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

Beautiful hand dyed fabrics. I love all of the patterns that your group made. Your hand quilting project is gorgeous. You are entering it in the fall fair?
So fun to spend time with your family on your sailboat. Stay cool!
Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Gladi Porsche said...

Like you, I’m spending more time indoors than usual for summer and getting some hand quilting done. What a great opportunity to learn about shibori - the pieces are lovely! Maybe show them off with a bag? Or an improv pieced wall quilt? What a boat! I’m sure you will enjoy some fun on it before the summer is over! Sorry I won’t get to see you at the Maine show this week 🙁.

rondiquilts said...

Looks like your summer has been a grand one!
Thanks for sharing and all the eye candy. Love it all. Fall will be here in the blink of an eye.

Rondi

Nann said...

Looks as though you're beating the heat in fine style with all the activities you love!

Susie H said...

So much fun to take classes -- better yet to take them with friends! Your banzai tree looks great and I trust it is adjusting even better now. The shibori fabrics are beautiful. I'd say you all learned and played very well. Enjoy that boat while you can. Cooler temps will be here before you know it!

Rose Marie said...

How lovely that Jill's quilt is moving along. Your stars quilt is nice and all that dyed fabric turned out interesting.

liz said...

Enjoyed your post thank you for sharing.
That boat is beautiful ( so are you children : )

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I'm trying to catch up on blog reading. I think I waited way too long! What a great post!! So much going on. I know you will make your goal with Jill's quilt!! The boat comments are funny. Rich did explain to you that "no holes, no flush" right? LOL!! Hoping to make a post today. Wish me luck.

Yvonne said...

Fun workshops, friends, a new quilt top, and some sailing to keep cool, looks like a good summer!

Diane said...

So much beauty in this post--I ;eve it all! Since Jill’s quilt is a variation of your “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” quilt, you ought to name hers “Dociousaliexpilisticfragilcalirupus.”


Janet O. said...

Where have I been that I didn't see this before now?!?
You take the coolest workshops. Bonsai and Shibori fabrics--what's next? Nice job on both! I really like your designs on the fabric.
The palette of colors you used in your star quilt is really striking. Is it one line, or a mix. They seem to coordinate so well together.
Oh, it must be nice to be able to get out on the water--even if there are holes in the boat. LOL
What a nice looking family you have, Barb.